Welcome to NSRI (National Sea Rescue Institute) Station 18 in Melkbosstrand situated approximately 30km from Cape Town on the West Coast of South Africa.
The NSRI is a non-profit organisation (NPO) and our rescue personnel are all volunteers who do not get paid for the service they render. We are entirely dependent on public funding for our operational and capital expenses, as we do not receive any government funding.
Our rescue station's main area of operation stretches from Big Bay, Blouberg Strand in the south to Yzerfontein in the north and seaward for 10 Nautical Miles.
Upcoming events to meet our crew or maybe even join-up:
* Our crew meets every Friday evening at 6pm for hand-over. If you want to join, you are welcome to come in for a chat and see what we do. Just ask for the Statcom or Duty-Coxswain when you arrive and they will look after you.
Our latest operations include:
* 4 February 2014 - We responded to a missing Kitesurfer that got in trouble during Gale Force conditions just before sunset. Our crew responded with the help of Stn 3 and searched well into the early evening. An extensive shore search also took place and after several hours it was confirmed that the person safely made it to shore after drifting for more than 2 hours and several miles. Our crew stood down and returned to base.
* Our crew has responded to several minor calls over the festive season.
* November 2013 - We responded to call late afternoon call as dusk set in to rescue 3 Kitesurfers that was stranded out there when the wind dropped on them. With the assistance from Blouberg lifesaving, they were all found and rescued.
* Our annual EnerMech Water Weights 4x4 Family Adventure day took place on 5 October 2013. Go to Fund-raising section for more details or click here to download a brochure. Thank you to all that help make this day an success.
Sea Rescue RSS feed (www.nsri.org.za)
Over the past decade Joan Wilkins has become a part of the NSRI Head Office team. Joan, a pensioner who has a broad spectrum of hobbies from hiking on Table Mountain to Opera, has a soft spot for NSRI and each Wednesday comes in to the office to help with whatever she can. She has […]
We are proud to announce that Italtile have come aboard as a NSRI Platinum Partner. “Italtile Limited is privileged to be associated with the N.S.R.I. The courageous and selfless contribution that this organisation makes to the people of our country is a source of inspiration and comfort to us all. From the experience we went […]
South African Air Force 28 Squadron has been in Cape Town for the past few weeks spending time training in maritime flight operations. Two NSRI crew members, Robert Fine and Mahboob Ebrahim were invited to fly with the crew and observe the training onboard one of the Hercules C-130 planes. The mission started early at […]